California and Car Accidents
Below you will find tips and a checklist for car accident preparedness. Why is this important? An unfortunate fact of life for many Californians is being in automobile accidents. These wrecks can happen to even the most conscientious drivers.
The odds of sharing roads with distracted, impaired drivers or people speeding are high. Yearly in California, the successful traffic accident lawyers at Ehline Law Firm have helped victims. These professionals to assist in hundreds, and perhaps thousands of costly automobile wrecks.
These mishaps occur on freeways and tollways. But they are also frequent on highways, bridges, and other roadways. Greater Los Angeles in particular, is a Mecca for hairy motor vehicle accidents.
The mass transit system is defunct in many large towns. Furthermore, this is an expansive geography. Thus, the only efficient way to travel is private automobiles. Thus, there is a serious, day to day risk of suffering in a serious fender bender. These accidents can happen almost everywhere you venture by motorcar.
There are Many Types of Accidents.
There are many types of ‘accidents.’ An unfortunate fact of life for many Californians is being in automobile accidents. These wrecks can happen to even the most conscientious drivers. The odds of sharing roads with distracted, impaired drivers or people speeding are high. Yearly in California, traffic accident lawyers at Ehline Law Firm help victims.
These professionals to assist in hundreds, and perhaps thousands of costly automobile wrecks. These mishaps occur on freeways and tollways. But they are also frequent on highways, bridges, and other roadways. Greater Los Angeles in particular, is a Mecca for hairy motor vehicle accidents.
The mass transit system is defunct in many large towns. Furthermore, this is an expansive geography. Thus, the only efficient way to travel is private automobiles. Thus, there is a serious, day to day risk of suffering in a serious fender bender.
These accidents can happen almost everywhere you venture by motorcar. There are many types of ‘accidents’ here. Consequently, the most common of these are passenger “car accidents.” Mostly, these arise from drivers “tailgating,” or following too close.
Auto Accident Preparedness Checklist
Keeping some essential items in your vehicle readily available can help tremendously. You can be in the case of a bad wreck at any time, anyplace. Thus, it makes sense to be ready. We recommend an “in the event of emergency” kit. You can assemble and keep it in the trunk.
But if space allows, one is fine in the glove compartment or console of your automobile. Some people call these “bug out bags.” But really, these are just basic items to help you survive. Hence, it won’t matter whether you broke down, or crashed. No matter what, you have basic survival needs to be met.
Some items to include in your bug out bag are:
Medical insurance information.
- A list of family members. Make sure to include any pre-existing medical conditions, medication allergies, and current medications
- The name and telephone number of one or two emergency contacts
- Road flares
- If trunk space allows, emergency cones and triangles are very useful
- A First Aid Kit
- Bottled water and MRE’s (Meals Ready to Eat)
- Pre-paid cell phone with a spare battery
- A disposable camera
- A pen and some writing paper
Remember, even though you are stressed out, you can take some necessary measures. This will lessen the grief and uncertainty.
- Keep your cool. Staying calm in the aftermath of an automobile accident helps you. Furthermore, it comforts your passengers, if any. It also makes it easier for any law enforcement or medical personnel called to the scene.
- If you or your passengers sustain any injuries, call 911 for ambulance assistance.
- Call law enforcement and stay put. Never leave the scene of an automobile accident. However, if you do, your vehicle is in danger of being struck again. So if it is moveable, it is acceptable to drive it to the shoulder. Most of all, get it to an area otherwise out of the way of traffic hazards. Most important, wait for the police and ambulance. (don’t leave the crash scene until LEO clears you).
Turn on your emergency flashing lights, set out cones, triangles, and flares.
- Never Admit Fault. Never tell the police or the other party you think you caused the wreck. (Fault gets determined by legal liability, not a novice opinion).
- Exchange Information. Demand to see copies of registration and driver’s license info of the other party(ies). Produce your identifying info as well.
- Gather Evidence. Obtain the names, addresses, and phone numbers from all percipient witnesses. Hence, make notes of all of the particulars surrounding the accident. Thus you should record the time it occurred. The names of other drivers involved as well as their insurance information should be taken down. Also, the names/contact telephone numbers for any witnesses to the accident should be written down. Take pictures of the damage to the cars at the “Incident Location.” Photograph the people involved and landmarks. (if you have a camera or a camera feature on a mobile phone, pictures of the autos and the accident scene are very helpful).
- Get the Traffic Collision Investigation Report. Order copies of police reports and dispute incorrect info.
- Notify the Liability Insurance Carrier. Without admitting responsibility, contact your insurance adjustor. Thus, put them on notice of the mishap.
- Make Sure Your Doctor Documents Your Complaints. Tell your physician and attorney about any radiating pain. Also, document any confusion, vertigo or memory loss. (You may not notice this right away.)
The Details of Your Car Accident and Your Attorney.
Turning details of your accident over to capable legal hands relieves stress and anxiety. This aids in the most favorable outcome for you. Once law enforcement and the insurance agencies complete their investigations; your attorneys get to work. The lawyer will ensure your rights get protected and upheld.
The wide range of roadway mishaps seasoned counsel helps with, includes minor impacts. These include bumper tapping. Mostly, these are forcible “rear-ender” impacts between two cars at low speed. Also, they include major influences cornering a vehicle too fast. This could make it roll over onto a sidewalk. Furthermore, these cases have been known for crushing things, or even people.
Typical cases for which advocates assist victims are inattentive drivers hitting stationary objects. For example, people texting while in traffic often hit rear bumpers. Also, sometimes idling at a red traffic light, the vehicle slowly creeps forward. Sometimes a negligent driver may haphazardly run over a child or adult on foot. Mostly, it is in a crosswalk. Hence, the poor souls we help could be cyclists. These people could also be kids thrown to the pavement.
Typical Car Crash Scenarios
Other types of common scenarios involve serious injury and deaths. Examples include when a bad driver smashes into, crushes or drags a human. Furthermore, the dragging victims could be animals like dogs or cats. Thus, it could just be an innocent creature crossing roads. Furthermore, news reports often show the aftermath of tragic crash scenes.
As a result, in one of these, people were killed where a car had crashed into a packed diner [1. Pregnant Woman Dragged Under Car as it Crashes Into Restaurant] or residential home. [2. Car Crashes Into House ] The latter type of problem is what we would expect from a drunken driver.
But these cases can also arise due to a bad repair job. Last, it could even be from defective automobile parts. Our dedicated firm helps in all the above situations. Motorists call these types of incidents ‘car crashes.’ The CHP calls them “traffic collisions.”
What Your Attorney Will Advise
You must not talk about the accident with anyone. You must not sign any documents concerning the accident. That is your lawyer’s job. Thus, all papers and communications should get sent to him or her. Also, this includes any telephone calls from your insurance agency. All calls should get forwarded on to your attorney.
Finally, any documents you may receive in the mail need to be reviewed by counsel. Same goes for those sent via courier. They should go to your lawyer. If a claim arises from your mishap, your advocate can best advise on how to proceed.
Also, if you have sustained injuries in an automobile accident, contact us. We can help you and your loved ones by calling (888) 400-9721. Thus, you can get a free evaluation of your case today.
Important Things to Know About Safe Motoring