Hello, I am Michael Ehline with Ehline Law Firm. As a parent, and avid rider, I knew that victims injured while riding could never possibly be able to interrelate with a non riding attorney. This is why we set up this blog. We are the bicycle riders friend.
The Ehline Law firm has recovered money damages in the multiple millions of dollars for victims of serious injuries. We are not just lawyers though. Our staff is into physical fitness.
In fact, we feel what our clients go through when they are down and out due to a tragic wreck they did not cause. Hence, we set up this landing page in order to answer some of the most frequently asked questions injured riders have. Enjoy.
There are some common questions that many cyclists have after an accident on a two wheeled vehicle, which most often need answers. Contact a bicycle attorney to answer more questions, but read the comprehensive list below first.
- The initial consultation by a personal injury attorney is usually free of charge. And if there is a legal case, the attorney works on a contingency fee basis.
- Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee. In other words, a percentage of the monetary compensation goes to the lawyer instead of paying the lawyer up front. The percentage your advocate will typically get is between 33 1/3% to 40% for the services they provided.
- Each case is different, the injuries are different and so will the length of time it takes to heal. The damages awarded depend on several things. The injuries, whether or not there will need to be ongoing care or surgery like in the case of broken bones, head injuries, and spinal injuries. Some injuries cause permanent scarring, and even torn cartilage. So all of that factors into the compensation awarded. More serious injuries will include loss of earnings, and possible disability that can be permanent.
- As many as 90 percent of Ehline Law’s cases become resolved in the clients favor within nine months from the accident. This sounds like a considerable amount of time. But cases that proceed to trial can take three years or longer before finality.
- But the property damage portion of the case takes much less time. In fact, it remains possible this part of the case will resolve within six weeks. This allows the cyclist to replace their damaged bicycle.
Will it be Necessary to Testify in Court?
- Testimony is heard when claims end up in court. However, most personal injury cases for injured cyclists are settled prior to filing a lawsuit. So it remains important to investigate the bicycle accident as soon as possible. Most of all, you must monitor the insurance adjuster. This will help to build a strong claim. Also, it encourages the defendant to settle the claim without going into court.
- A bicycle injury claim be resolved in “Mini-Trial” or “mediation”/”arbitration.” So if it is heading toward a court hearing, this may end it. This is a process where the claim is heard by a retired judge or practicing attorney. In most cases, testimony is received from key witnesses. Other evidence can be submitted in documents. So this normally means items such as medical reports and other personal records.
- This does not always settle a claim and some will proceed to a full trial. But most claims can be settled this way and avoid court. In fact, they may take between two and three hours, as opposed to possibly four or five days in court.
- Yes, bicycle accident attorney Ehline works in association with lawyers outside of California. And this is lawful, even though he is licensed in California. There are laws that allow attorneys to work in association with attorneys from other states. As a personal injury lawyer, Michael P. Ehline, Esq., has participated in claims in Florida, Nevada, Washington and other states.
- It is important when injured to have the representation of an experienced cyclist who also represents victims as counsel.
- This is an lawyer that rides a bicycle down the Venice Beach bike path in California, at least 3 days per week, and he understands how accidents can occur from the rider’s point of view rather than from a motor vehicle driver’s point of view.
- The experienced traffic injury lawyer, Mike Ehline, has a proven track record in representing bicyclists.
Hiring A Legal Representative
Call now to contact a bicycle lawyer. Our attorney hotline is (888) 400-9721. Get justice now. Never delay in getting help for injuries on a bike.