Why Are Hoverboards Particularly dangerous When Recharging?
Tragedy struck a PA town this past week. A small girl died in a fire caused by a recharging hoverboard. The blaze injured multiple other people and destroyed the house. The risk of these devices is well known. There is a particular need to fight back against faulty devices known for catching fire.
Yahoo News reported on the terrible fire. The LA Times also wrote about the situation. This is the first death directly due to a hoverboard. Over the last several years the boards caused hundreds of injuries.
The fire critically injured two others in the house, as well as a firefighter. Authorities blamed the hoverboard recharging for the inferno. One victim jumped from the second floor to survive. Firefighters rescued three others.
Three-year-old Ashanti Hughes died at the local hospital. Two others remain in critical conditions. The hoverboard sizzled, crackled, then exploded into flames, according to the witnesses. The local fire chief referred to the board as “notorious for starting fires” and warned of their dangers. He said there were many fires and even deaths due to fires caused by them.
A Long History of Fires?
This is not the first such case, nor will be the last. Furthermore, fire officials warned the public for years regarding these devices. This is even worse when dealing with knockoff brands. Parents need to check the devices for flaws, including their consumer history reports. The safest bet would be not to buy them at all.
For more information about the danger of hoverboards keep reading our site. Ehline Law fought and won many consumer protection suits. We understand the danger these devices pose to families and property. Our expert attorneys challenge the companies that allow this defective product into the hands of minors. Email us for more information, including if one of these devices injured you or a loved one.